Right from its start (on February 27,1918) the faculty of Medicine was under the banner of Ivane Javakhishvili State University. As the Council of Professors acknowledged the necessity of creating the independent Faculty of Medicine, by the decision of April 9, 1919 of the University Council, the Faculty of Medicine was separated from the unified Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics and was established as the independent faculty.
On June 10, 1930, State Medical Institute of Georgia was opened, which has been called Tbilisi State Medical University since 1992.
English-Medium Medical Faculty was independently established in 1996 on Medical Faculty base. The Faculty of Medicine was established in 2006 on the base of the Faculty of Medicine, Pediatrics, Psychotherapy, Psychosomatic Medicine and English Medical Faculties.